2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening (or butter-adds more flavor)
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Grease a 9×12″ baking pan.
- Put flour, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl and use a fork to mix.
- Add shortening and roll to coat in flour. Break in to four or five pieces. Using your hands, mix shortening and flour, breaking the shortening in to pea-size pieces as you go.
- Add milk and use fork to mix just until combined.
- Generously flour the surface of a table and dump the dough on to the surface.
- Knead dough only 10 times.
- Pat into a 9-inch circle and use a 2-inch ring cutter to cut biscuits. Dough can be re combined and lightly patted out to make more biscuits but try not to over work the dough.
- Place biscuits on greased baking sheet and brush with buttermilk, butter, or any other fat-based product. For example, I used olive oil.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Enjoy warm or at room temperature…can be stored at room temperature, covered.