2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened unsalted butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks, beaten, for egg wash
filling of choice
- sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl and set aside
- in a stand mixer, beat butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and eggs together for a couple of minutes; the batter should still be slightly lumpy
- add in the flour mixture and mix until combined
- divide the dough into pieces. roll out each piece of dough between two sheets of parchment paper about 1/8 inch thick
- chill dough (still between sheets of parchment paper) in refrigerator for 45 minutes until firm
- preheat oven to 350ºF. grease several cookie sheets
- take one piece of dough from the refrigerator. using a 2-1/2-inch cookie cutter, cut out cookies and place on sheets two inches apart.
- drop 2 teaspoonfuls of filling in the center of each circle. lift one side and firmly pinch each of the two corners. repeat this two more times, forming a triangular shape.
- in a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. brush the sides of each with the egg wash. bake 15 minutes or until browned, rotating sheets halfway through baking time.