1-1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
This is the regular “creaming method”, for those of you who come from the professional baking world. For those not from the professional baking world, here’s what that means:
- Cream together the sugar and butter, until “light and fluffy”. (I put “light and fluffy” in quotes because it is a phrase I read all the time and think “what does that mean?” of course, I know it means lighter in color, and not little butter chunks mixed with sugar. (Oh, Chef Haymon, you would be so proud.)
- Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the flour and cocoa powder and baking powder and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop into walnut sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Press down.
- Bake in preheated 375º oven for 8-10 minutes. Cool on racks.